What if I need special accommodations?
Residential Life will work with students to help meet their special needs. The following features are available in some of our residence hall rooms: Bed shakers, fire alarm activated strobe lights, and specially equipped bathrooms, Students with special needs should contact the Residential Life Office and ask to speak with Donna Fagg.

What size are the beds?
Rooms contain two twin beds that are a little longer than the standard size mattresses. Current students suggest you use extra long twin sheets (36" X 80").

Can I have a loft in my room?
Yes, we recommend that you rent a loft from www.bedloft.com Renting a loft from them will not only make more space in your room, but will also benefit RHA (ISU Residence Hall Association). 

Why does Residential Life have a consolidation process & how does it work?
When vacancies are created throughout the academic year, it is sometimes necessary to consolidate students for operational purposes. Consolidation is based on contract completion date.
Questions concerning the Consolidation Process, should be directed to either the Residential Life Office or the Area Director for the hall in which the student resides.

What is a Contract Release?
Applications for Contract Release or Exception to the Housing Policy are available at the Residential Life Office. 

Release Rationale: Students should be advised that contract releases or exceptions are granted only in situations involving extreme or unusual circumstances, the nature of which would prohibit living in a residence hall or impose a severe hardship. A desire to experience off-campus living is not considered an acceptable reason. The Residential Life housing contract is a legally binding contract for the full academic year. Students are cautioned not to sign legal agreements for off-campus housing until they receive an official release or exception in writing from the Residential Life Office.

Housing Policy: The University Housing Policy states that Freshman (student with less than 32 earned academic hours) are required to live in University residence halls unless they live and commute from their parent's home (within 60 miles from campus), or have a valid exception. Students who have lived in University residence halls for two semesters are exempt from this requirement. This policy applies to single students.

Categories considered for Contract Release or Exception: Please note the necessary documentation required to support the request.

Medical: The student should describe the medical problem in as much detail as possible in the space allotted at the end of the application. Support documentation from a personal physician is helpful. Documentation may include: a diagnosis, laboratory report, X-rays finding, treatment (including a copy of any special diet or restrictions). Students are responsible for contacting the Student Health Center or their private doctor for related support documentation.

Financial: Release for financial reasons are granted only in situations involving significant change in the student's financial situation since the contract was signed. Individuals not on file with the Financial Aid Office but wishing to request a release based on financial reasons must complete special forms. Forms are available in the Residential Life Office. Additional, documentation indicating change in financial status is always helpful: proof of lay-off, lose of job, new medical expenses in the family, etc.

Single Parent: Student must provide a copy of the child's birth certificate.

Live-in Employment: Student will need to submit a letter from their employer.

Military Service: A student requesting an exception for time served in the military should provide a copy of his/her certificate of service or other documentation showing length of active duty. 

Commuting from Home or Living with a Relative: Students requesting a release to commute from his/her parent' place of residence (within 60 miles) must submit a notarized letter from parents or guardian supporting the fact that the student will be living at home and commuting for the academic year or its remainder. This option is only available for students requesting an exception. Students who have already signed a contract will not be release based on their request to commute, but can apply for a contract release if they meet any of the other listed release categories.

Marriage: A student requesting a release on the basis of marriage within the semester needs to submit a letter indicating the anticipated date of marriage and his/her spouse's name. The marriage must be substantiated by a copy of the Marriage Certificate. Failure to file the certificate copy within two weeks after marriage will nullify the release.

Buyout of contract: A student can be automatically released from the contract by buying out the remaining portion of the contract. This process is not automatic for students still under the Housing Policy.  The buyout rate is sixty-five (65%) percent of the remaining contract.

Procedures:  Applications are available the Residential Life Office or on-line .

The application should be filled out as completely as possible. The application and supporting documentation should be returned to the Residential Life Office. If the student wishes to meet with the committee, an appointment should be made at the time the application is submitted.  The student will be notified of the decision in writing. An email will be sent to the student's ISU email address or mailed to a permanent address if requested.

Appeals of the committee's decision should be made in writing within five (5) working days to the Executive Director of Residential Life, Amanda Knerr. The student should have new or additional information, in order to file an appeal.

Is there a deposit?
No, there is a non-refundable $20 processing fee due at the time you submit your contract. Rooms are only reserved for those students who have completed their application and made their $150 initial payment.

What is Fall Signup?
Each spring semester during February and March the Residential Life Office will conduct a sign-up process for current students wishing to return to the residence halls the following year.  Current residents are given written information concerning this process in late January/early February.  RAs will hold floor/stairwell meetings to explain the process and to review the deadlines.  In addition, the Residential Life Office has in the past advertised this process by:   table tents, ads in the newspaper, posters, etc.  The fall room sign-up process is done on-line.  
Sign-up process
     1. Make your roommate request and sign your binding room contract, 
     2.  Select the hall and room you want for next fall. 
     All current students who want to return to their current room (where possible), or want to live in a particular hall for the following fall will need to apply by the designated date.
The Housing Contract is a legally binding document.  There is no grace period and you cannot just cancel your contract. 
You can only be released from your contract if:  

  1. You withdraw from ISU
  2. You are granted a Contract Release (significant change in financial status, documented medical reason or you get married) or
  3. You buy out of your contract (65% of contract). 

What should I bring for my room and what is not allowed?
A comprehensive list on what to bring for move-in and tips for move-in can be found here .

Leave at home:  Hot surfaced appliances (hot plate, space heaters, electric flying pan, fryers, etc.), candles, air conditioner, ceiling fan, draperies, firearms - other weapons, pets - other than fish, waterbeds, grills, large refrigerators and halogen lamps.

Do I have to move everything out during the break times (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break, etc.)?
No, as long as you remain enrolled and plan to return after the break. Most halls close over extended break periods: Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring. Mills Hall is open for the entire academic year. There is an addition charge for students staying during the breaks and space is limited.

Other halls are sometimes open for an extended period of Winter Break and Spring Break.   Information about break housing is available at Residential Life Office a few weeks prior to the break. Summer Housing is available for students enrolled in summer classes.

Should I have Property Insurance?
The University can assume no responsibility for loss of, theft of, or damage to, the personal belongings of residents. Each resident is urged to make sure that his/her property is adequately insured against such perils either through their parents insurance or by purchasing insurance at www.studentinsuranceprograms.com/pp.

When do I find out who my roommate is?
Actual room and roommate assignments will be sent to your ISU E-mail account after Spring Break 2013 once your initial housing payment is received.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?
An important part of residence hall life is living with your roommate. If you have never shared a room before, it will be an adjustment. We encourage you and your roommate to sit down with your Resident Assistant the very first week of school and complete a "Roommate Agreement". This is a form that helps you outline guidelines, goals, and expectations that you have for sharing space. Doing this early will help avoid conflict with your roommate. If you do have issues, don't let them go unaddressed. This will only make matters worse. If you are unable to resolve the issues and need help, contact your Resident Assistant (RA). RAs are trained in conflict mediation and can help define what the issues are and help roommates come to a resolution. The Area Director and Assistant Hall Directors (AHDs) are also available to help with roommate conflicts. If the difficulties cannot be reconciled between the roommates, and mediation is unsuccessful one or both roommates may be moved to another room or Hall.

What about fire safety?
The University has taken many precautions to limit the danger of fire in the residence halls, but the main responsibility falls to the residents. Below are policies students need to follow:

  1. Any appliance that may create a fire or safety hazard should not be used in student rooms or in any area of the suites in Lincoln Quad. Gas appliances of any kind, grills and space heater are prohibited. The use of: hot plates, electric skillets, toasters, irons or any appliance with an exposed heating element or heating surface are prohibited in student rooms or suites. These appliances may be used in the floor lounge areas only.
  2. Highly flammable products must not be brought into the hall.  The use of kerosene, gasoline, naphtha, benzene, and propane are prohibited.
  3. To prevent the rapid spread of room fires on the floors, residents should not remove ceiling tiles (suspended or interlocked) at any time.
  4. Lighted candles, oil lamps, fireworks, sparklers, and smoke bombs may not be used anywhere in the residence halls.
  5. All lighting needs to be UL approved for the student's safety and the safety of others. Halogen lamps are not allowed in student rooms.
  6. Do not overload electrical circuits. Care should be taken in the use of all electrical cords and the overloading of sockets. All electrical cords should be UL approved. Extension cords should not run under rugs or closed doors.
  7. Fire doors are to be kept closed. These doors prevent fire, smoke and fumes from spreading through the building in the event of fire thus keeping some routes clear for safe exit. Glass inserts in the fire doors may not be covered with paper, cellophane or paint.
  8. Make sure access to doors and window is clear. Furniture must be arranged to permit full opening of doors and windows. Lofts must not be located in front of windows.
  9. Bicycles should not be chained to stairways or left on landing. Personal belongings should not be left in corridors, stairwells, or other common areas.
  10. Anyone who tampers with the firefighting equipment, fire alarms, guard rails, exit lights, or any other equipment on the campus in such a way as to endanger his/her own safety or the safety of others, subjects himself/herself to disciplinary actions up to and including suspension which may be taken in addition to civil action. 

Each residence hall has a central fire alarm system. This system calls the fire department, ISU Public Safety and sounds an alarm in the building. Smoke detectors are located in public areas, hallways, and individual student rooms. In addition, there are fire alarm boxes and fire extinguishers on every floor. When an alarm sounds staff members will take all necessary steps to assist in the prompt evacuation of a building. Students are required and expected to leave when an alarm sounds. Conduct action will be initiated with all students who fail to obey alarms. Staff members cannot be expected to unlock every door to alert residents. In the case of fire, the residence hall staff's primary responsibility is to make sure that the building evacuated and that the residents stay away from the building until it is safe to re-enter. Fire and police personnel will be advised of any areas or occupants whose safety or accountability is in doubt.

Preparedness:  Be completely familiar with fire drill procedures and follow them implicitly. Emergency placards are located on the back of each residence hall room.  Know your fire exits and some convenient alternatives including all dining room exits.   Know the location of the nearest fire alarm box and fire extinguisher.  Fire drills are conducted each semester in the residence halls.

In Case of Fire:  Pull an alarm. Notify the receptionists of the fire location in the quickest way possible. Close your room door.  Immediately evacuate the building and follow fire drill procedures. 
All fires, no matter how small, should be reported to residence hall staff immediately. Any resident responsible for causing a fire in University Housing may be charged for the cost of repairs or replacements.

When Alarm Sounds:  React to every alarm as if there is a fire.  Keep calm and follow full emergency procedures and/or instructions.  Put on a long coat, sturdy shoes, and carry a towel.  Open draperies, close windows and closet doors.  Turn off electrical equipment except overhead light. Take your room keys, student ID, lock your door and proceed to nearest assigned fire exit.  Do not use elevators. Walk rapidly, but do not run. 
Remain outside the building until the signal is given to return.  Individuals with mobility impairment should call 911 and notify Public Safety as to his/her location.

What should I do during a tornado or severe storms?
The emergency alarm, a wailing siren, is sounded throughout campus in the case a tornado being sighted in the area. Some Residence halls have an alarm system that will announce the warning along with the siren sounding. The emergency alarm is usually tested the first Tuesday of every month at 11:00 a.m.

When the alarm sounds students should get as fully dressed as time allows, take your room key, Student ID and flashlight, close your window, exit the room, and close and lock the door. Remain on your floor, sit quietly on the corridor floor next to a concrete wall and wait for instructions. Do not panic and follow the guidelines and instructions of staff members.

University Apartment residents should close your windows, take a flashlight and battery operated radio, go into your bathroom, and close the door. Remain there until the storm has past.

How can I prevent theft?
Do not loan your room/suite or elevator keys to anyone.  Report lost or stolen keys immediately to the front desk.  Keep your room locked when you are not there or are asleep.  Keep credit cards, calling card numbers, check book and cash in a secure place. Do not post your calling card number by the telephone or leave it out for others to see.  Do not leave personal items unattended in public areas, this includes the laundry rooms.  Keep your vehicle doors locked and valuables out of sight.  Report any thefts to Public Safety right away.  Make sure you have Personal Property Insurance to cover any lost, damaged or stolen personal items.

Can I get a single room?
There are no single rooms available. However, during the year space may open and a single room could be available at the single room rate.

What is my mailing address?

If you live in the residence halls:  First name Last name, Mailbox # , Hall name, Terre Haute, IN 47809
(Do not include Indiana State University in the address, as this only tends to slow down delivery.)

If you live in University Apartments: First and last name, Apt. #, street address, Terre Haute, IN 47807
(Do not include Indiana State University in the address, as this only tends to slow down delivery.)

Unit 1 is 100 Farrington Street
Unit 2 is 200 Farrington Street
Unit 3 is 201 Crawford Street
Unit 4 is 101 Crawford Street

What if I do not receive my mail?
The U. S. mail is delivered and picked up Monday - Friday from each hall. Report missing mail or packages immediately to hall staff and Public Safety.

Can I receive packages?
UPS, Federal Express, etc., delivers items to the reception desk of each residence hall. They also make door-to-door delivers to residents living in University Apartments. The University Apartments Office cannot accept delivers for tenants who are not home, or have not yet moved into their apartment.

When mailing packages, a street address will need to be added in addition to the student's hall and box number. Individual hall street addresses are below:

Burford: 200 N. 6th Street
Pickerl: 220 N. 6th Street
Blumberg: 410 Mulberry Street
Cromwell: 400 Mulberry Street
Mills: 411 Chestnut Street
Rhoads: 401 Chestnut Street
Sandison: 440 N. 6th Street
Jones: 455 N. 5th Street
Hines: 456 N. 6th Street
Lincoln Quad: 650 N. 6th Street

What is my Housing contract?
The residence hall and University Apartment contract is a binding commitment for you to live on campus for the entire duration of the contract. The residence hall contract is for both your room and your meals for the academic year. 

How do I apply to live on-campus?
Applications for both the residence halls and University Apartments are on-line at www.indstate.edu/reslife. Please read the instructions carefully.  Your application will not be complete until you pay the $20 application fee.  This fee can be paid on-line and is non-refundable.

What is the Housing Policy?
The University Housing Policy states that Freshman (student with less than 32 earned academic hours) are required to live in University residence halls unless they live and commute from their parent's home (within 60 miles from campus), or have a valid exception. Students who have lived in University residence halls for two semesters are exempt from this requirement. This policy applies only to single students.

May I request a particular residence hall?
If you are a freshman, no. Freshman are assigned by lifestyle preference selected on their application. Returning students can request a particular hall and/or room during the room sign-up process each spring.

What is the contract term at University Apartments?
University Apartments has two contract options.

  1. Academic Year Contract. This contract starts August 1st and ends May 31st.
  2. Summer only contract.  This contract is granted to students who are finishing summer classes after May 31st, are continuing as a resident in the UA’s over the following fall semester, or are an incoming resident starting classes over the summer.

May I have a roommate at University Apartments?
If you are a single student and would like another student as a roommate, both students will have to complete an application and request each other as roommates. You must have a roommate if you are living in a one bedroom w/ study apartment. If you do not have a roommate preference, one will automatically be assigned to you.

Can family members live with me?
Students qualify for “family housing” under the following conditions:

1. Student has a dependent child living with them.
2. Student has a spouse living with them.

For further information regarding the family policy, please contact the UA Office at 812-237-2443.

May I have a pet at University Apartments?
Only fish in 10 gallon tanks are allowed. Tenants may not keep or harbor any dogs, cats, or other caged animals. Check with the UA Office if you have questions concerning pets.

May I see an apartment at University Apartments?
Yes, a model apartment is available for viewing during normal business hours. The model apartment is a furnished one-bedroom apartment and is located in Unit 3 (201 Crawford Street). You may stop by the UA Main Office and request a tour. It is recommended to come before 3:30 PM, as there is more office coverage at that time.

When is the University Apartments' office open?
The University Apartments' Office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - noon and 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM when the University is open. During the major move-in time in August the office has extended hours.

The University Apartments' Office can be reached at:

University Apartments Office           phone: 812-237-2443
201 Crawford Street #107              fax number: 812-237-4943
Terre Haute, IN 47809

Do I need a parking permit at University Apartments?
Yes, if you intend to park in one of the parking lots you will need an ISU parking decal. If you would like access to parking in the UA’s and on campus you want to get a general parking pass, but if it is only to park in the UA lots you can purchase a remote lot pass. There is very limited space to park on the street. ISU Public Safety patrols the parking lots at University Apartments.

Do I qualify for a three-bedroom apartment at University Apartments?
Three bedroom apartments are primarily reserved for families with two or more children.

Is cable TV provided at University Apartments?
Yes, free Non-Digital Cable ( Channels 2 - 72) is provided, with one outlet per apartment. Students may contract with Time Warner Cable for additional programming at an additional cost.

What if I need summer housing?
Housing is available for students attending summer school. You can sign-up for Summer Housing on-line. Students can also wait and sign-up for summer housing once summer housing opens, by going to the front desk of the hall that is open for summer students. If you need an apartment at University Apartments, you will need to complete an apartment application on-line. Space is limited, so apply as soon as you know you will need an apartment for the summer.

What about parking on-campus?
Currently, all students are permitted to bring a car to campus, but you will need to purchase a parking permit. Parking permits are available from the Department of Public Safety.  More information about parking permits and parking on the ISU campus are available at the Public Safety web site.