Mentoring Assistance Program
Are You interested in becoming a Prospective Scholar?
An undergraduate student must meet the following criteria:
MAPS is designed for the student who:
- Has completed one semester in a university or college setting.
- Has a minimum GPA of at least a 2.3
- Can balance a class load & a minimum of 8 hours of work a week.
- Is in good standing with the university.
- Can work well with others.
- Is committed to the ongoing improvement of self.
- Do I have to have work-study to participate?
No. It is preferable, but is not a stipulation.
- Why don't you take incoming freshmen?
Our purpose is student retention. Therefore we feel freshmen need to get accustomed to "college life", and establish
a acceptable GPA, before bringing them into the program, because of the "employment" aspect of the program.
- How do I get a mentor?
There is a application & interviewing process, after which, we first attempt to match the student with a mentor that is
tied to the mentees Career interest. If that isn't possible, we match them with a staff / Faculty member that is concerned about
the success of the student.
- Once I'm paired with a mentor, then what?
You work for the mentor, and the mentor works for you! Actually You & the mentor will meet, & discuss your availability,
and what duties he/ or she wants you to perform, and then your on your way.
- How long can I be a mentee?
As long as you are a enrolled undergraduate of Indiana State University.
Because of the success of this program, space is limited.