home / policies / enrollment and financial aid


And Its Effects on Financial Aid


The University recognizes that circumstances may arise that require students to drop some or all of their classes.

  • Dropping all classes before the semester begins:

    Any time a student withdraws completely from all classes, the financial aid office will cancel all financial aid received for the term. If this process occurs before the start of the semester, the student is typically entitled to at least a partial refund of University charges. Visit http://www2.indstate.edu/registrar/withdrawalinformation.htm for details.
  • Dropping all classes after the semester begins:

    If the student completely withdraws after the first week of classes, he or she will have to return a percentage of financial aid relative to the amount of the semester completed.

    If this occurs, the office will return a portion of the federal aid money used to pay institutional charges (such as tuition, fees, or university housing) on a student's account. Sometimes this will leave some university charges unpaid, and the student will be billed for this amount. Second, if the student received federal aid funds directly (as a refund, for example) to be used for other educational expenses, the student may have to return some portion of that money. The amount due will appear on the student's bill in about 45 days after the withdrawal date.
  • Dropping some classes after the semester begins:

    Financial aid recipients are required to complete 67% of the classes originally attempted. (See also Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.) If the student falls below 67% completion rate, he or she will forfeit their eligibility for federal financial aid. It is critical to exercise discretion when deciding when to drop and add classes after the semester has already begun.

    Enrollment information is reported to the National Student Loan Data System, and previously borrowed loans may go into repayment if the student does not meet deferment criteria (half-time enrollment).
  • Pell grant recipients must attend all of their courses in order to keep the grant. Failure to attend all courses could result in a reduction of Pell grant funds.

[ top ]

Awards and Census Date

Certain types of financial aid and scholarships require full-time enrollment during the current term for disbursement. Students should monitor their award requirements to ensure that minimum enrollment criteria are satisfied. In addition, many need-based awards require that the Office of Student Financial Aid take a "snapshot" of student enrollment levels as of a certain date. In particular:

  • The Federal Pell Grant requires enrollment to be finalized on the 7th calendar day of the term. While part-time grants are available, the maximum amount of the award requires full-time enrollment.
  • The Frank O'Bannon Grant (also called the Indiana Higher Education Award), as well as several other state grants such as Twenty-First Century Scholars, require full-time enrollment on the 28th calendar day of the term.

In cases where enrollment monitoring is required, awards will be frozen as of the date specified for each award type. It is generally advisable to finalize student enrollment before the first week of the semester ends, in order to prevent uneven disbursements or cancellation of financial aid.

Federal regulations prohibit the use of financial aid funds to pay for outstanding expenses from a previous term. Therefore, in order to enroll for the next academic year, students must make arrangements to pay any existing account balance by the payment deadline, before being considered for future financial aid disbursements. Information about private lending agencies is available online here: http://indstate.edu/finaid/alternative.htm.


[ top ]

Important Notice Regarding Repeated Coursework

Please be advised that federal regulations may prohibit students from receiving financial aid for repeating coursework. A student who has already taken a course and has questions whether financial aid will cover a repeat should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Listed below are answers to frequently asked questions.

If I previously received an "F" (which is a failing grade) in a course, how many times can I retake that course and still receive federal financial aid?

If I received an "F" the first time I took a course, and then I passed with a "D", how many times can I take the course to improve the "D" grade and still received federal financial aid?

If I received a "D", then I retook the course and received an "F" while receiving federal financial aid, can I retake the course a third time and receive aid?

[ top ]


Student Financial Aid
220 North 7th Street
150 Tirey Hall
Indiana State University
Contact Us