Office of the Controller


The ISU Travel Department assists University departments by relaying information, explaining and interpreting travel policies and procedures, processing Travel Authorizations, processing Travel Reimbursements, and keeping accurate travel records. We will make our best effort to ensure that you will receive reimbursement for travel expenses within five working days from the time your complete and accurate expense report has been fully approved. 

Official University travel is defined as travel by University personnel, non-University personnel, and University students when the authorizing individuals consider such travel to be in the professional and/or business interest of both the traveler and the University. Such expenses may include transportation, lodging, subsistence, and registration fees. Travelers are expected to observe the University's policies and procedures in the type and amount of expenses incurred. In order for your reimbursement to be non-taxable, you must follow ISU's Accountable Plan Guidelines. ISU will only pay for travel that is properly authorized.

International Travel Warnings/Alerts: The Vice President of your area or Provost must review and approve faculty/staff/student travel to countries/areas for which the U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning or Alert (see U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts). Approvals will also be needed if the U.S. State Department issues a Travel Alert or Warning after the initial authorization was granted, but prior to the date of the actual trip. It is the responsibility of the traveler to get approval prior to departure. Please see the International Travel section below for additional information.

Visit the tabs below to learn more about the travel policies and procedures of the University.

COVID Travel Constraints: Domestic business travel will only be allowed in limited circumstances and with approval from the appropriate Vice President. Please attach the email approval as a pdf file to the pre-approval prior to submission. University-sponsored international travel will not be approved until further notice.

University-sponsored/funded student travel is suspended for the fall semester. Exceptions can be granted only with approval of the appropriate Cabinet member.

Employees who travel to areas with an outbreak of COVID-19 will be expected to remain home for a period of fourteen (14) days.

Rideshare and Car Rental:

It is recognized that vehicles could pose a risk for COVID-19 transmission considering the smaller airspace and the challenges with maintaining the suggested 6 food separation between individuals. No employee will be required to rideshare with multiple passengers when conducted University business travel. Limit the number of passengers in a vehicle to only those necessary. Wear a face mask and ride in the rear seat of the vehicle when possible. Travel by multi-passenger vans will not be approved without prior approval by a VP or Cabinet member.

Reservations of vans for local transportation of students to field sites or other locations is prohibited. Exceptions can be granted only with approval of the appropriate Cabinet member.


Click on the headings below for information regarding the reimbursement of travel expenses.



Create an Expense Report in Chrome River to request reimbursement for travel expenses incurred on official University business. Employees cannot be reimbursed for the same travel expenses from an outside organization and the University. Please see detailed instructions listed on the help section of the Chrome River Welcome Page.

Timing of Travel Reimbursements

An Expense Reprot will need to be submitted no more than 30 days after the last day of travel listed on the Pre-Approval. Any travel submitted after 60 days of your return will become taxable income and must be processed on a One Time Only (See Accountable Plan Guidelines).

Direct Deposit

Employees are required to sign up for direct deposit for travel reimbursements. Direct deposit facilitates a significant cost savings and provides a more efficient means of payment disbursement. Reducing the number of checks sent through U.S. mail and campus mail also reduces the likelihood of lost checks.

Sign up for direct deposit for travel reimbursements here. Please note: Direct deposit for travel reimbursement is separate from direct deposit for payroll. Contact the travel department if you have questions (ext: 3541).

See Cash Advances for instructions for closing out a travel cash advance.



Subsistence includes meals, tips, porters, and other miscellaneous incidental expenses. Subsistence is reimbursed based on location of lodging. Chrome River will automatically calculate the rate of Per Diem based on the city, state, and/or country that has been entered. Subsistence for overnight travel on University business will be based on federal per diem rates for all 50 States and U.S. territories (CONUS). This includes travel within the State of Indiana. All foreign travel will be reimbursed using Federal Foreign Travel Reimbursement Rates (OCONUS). All travel required to follow state regulations (state grants) will be reimbursed at the approved state per diem rates. Subsistence is paid at the rate applicable to the location of lodging obtained for the night. If a city is not found on the CONUS list then the lowest CONUS rate is applicable. On the day travel status begins and on the day travel status ends, the rate will be 75% of one day’s subsistence. Persons are allowed to claim subsistence and lodging one day before and one day after the date of ISU business.

When reimbursement for subsistence is claimed, the traveler shall verify that no meals were furnished. The exceptions being:

  • Continental breakfast
  • Finger foods or hors d'oeuvres
  • Receptions

The subsistence allowance shall be reduced for each meal furnished gratis to the traveler or included in a registration fee as followed:

  • Breakfast 25% of applicable CONUS rate
  • Lunch 25% of applicable CONUS rate
  • Dinner 50% of applicable CONUS rate

Actual Food Expenses

The actual cost of meals may be claimed in lieu of subsistence ONLY if the expenses are LESS than or EQUAL to the total subsistence allowed. Receipts must be provided. The University does not reimburse for alcoholic beverages.

Meals on One Day Trips (no overnight stay)

Generally, reimbursement to faculty and staff are not allowed for subsistence or meals receipts for any one day (non-overnight) trips. On the occasion when a traveler needs to attend a business meal during a trip, actual meal expenses (as opposed to per diem) are reimbursed. All reimbursements for business travel meals must include the Hospitality form and actual food receipts are required. Reasonable meal expenses related to travel of one day or less may be claimed for the following cases:

  • When a meal at a convention, conference or meeting is part of the agenda and the cost of the meal has not previously been paid with the registration fee. The menu and the cost are arranged by the event organizers and beyond the control of the claimant. Receipt and proof that the meal is part of the agenda are required. If one individual is seeking reimbursement for a group of faculty/staff, all employee’s names should be included on a Hospitality Form.
  • When directed or required to attend mealtime business meetings, including community or public relations meetings. Receipt and Hospitality Form which states a clear business purpose are required.
  • Meal expenses for a student group on a one-day trip may be reimbursed at the actual cost (should be reasonable compared to current federal per-diem rate for that city). An itemized receipt is required and the request for payment must state that the expenses result from a trip by a student group. University faculty/staff or group leaders who accompany and are responsible for the care, custody, or control of the group are also eligible for meal-expense reimbursement. Students must be greater in number than faculty/staff. When a single reimbursement (receipt) is requested for multiple employees, all employee’s names should be identified on a Hospitality Form.

Link Area


Holly Garrett
Travel Account Specialist
Ext. 3541