Office of the Controller


The ISU Travel Department assists University departments by relaying information, explaining and interpreting travel policies and procedures, processing Travel Authorizations, processing Travel Reimbursements, and keeping accurate travel records. We will make our best effort to ensure that you will receive reimbursement for travel expenses within five working days from the time your complete and accurate expense report has been fully approved. 

Official University travel is defined as travel by University personnel, non-University personnel, and University students when the authorizing individuals consider such travel to be in the professional and/or business interest of both the traveler and the University. Such expenses may include transportation, lodging, subsistence, and registration fees. Travelers are expected to observe the University's policies and procedures in the type and amount of expenses incurred. In order for your reimbursement to be non-taxable, you must follow ISU's Accountable Plan Guidelines. ISU will only pay for travel that is properly authorized.

International Travel Warnings/Alerts: The Vice President of your area or Provost must review and approve faculty/staff/student travel to countries/areas for which the U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning or Alert (see U.S. Department of State Travel Alerts). Approvals will also be needed if the U.S. State Department issues a Travel Alert or Warning after the initial authorization was granted, but prior to the date of the actual trip. It is the responsibility of the traveler to get approval prior to departure. Please see the International Travel section below for additional information.

Visit the tabs below to learn more about the travel policies and procedures of the University.

COVID Travel Constraints: Domestic business travel will only be allowed in limited circumstances and with approval from the appropriate Vice President. Please attach the email approval as a pdf file to the pre-approval prior to submission. University-sponsored international travel will not be approved until further notice.

University-sponsored/funded student travel is suspended for the fall semester. Exceptions can be granted only with approval of the appropriate Cabinet member.

Employees who travel to areas with an outbreak of COVID-19 will be expected to remain home for a period of fourteen (14) days.

Rideshare and Car Rental:

It is recognized that vehicles could pose a risk for COVID-19 transmission considering the smaller airspace and the challenges with maintaining the suggested 6 food separation between individuals. No employee will be required to rideshare with multiple passengers when conducted University business travel. Limit the number of passengers in a vehicle to only those necessary. Wear a face mask and ride in the rear seat of the vehicle when possible. Travel by multi-passenger vans will not be approved without prior approval by a VP or Cabinet member.

Reservations of vans for local transportation of students to field sites or other locations is prohibited. Exceptions can be granted only with approval of the appropriate Cabinet member.

Misc. Expenses

While traveling, you will incur expenses for items other than your airfare, conference registration, lodging, meals, and car rental. The University reimburses you for some of these miscellaneous expenses. Some miscellaneous expenses are not reimbursable. It's usually best to be aware of what is and is not reimbursable before you spend your money and run the risk of discovering that the University, by law, cannot repay you. Before you travel, check with your department, review the lists below, and contact the Travel Account Specialists if you have particular concerns about extra expenses. All Reimbursements must be submitted within 60 days of travel. (See Accountable Plan Guidelines).


Reimbursable Expenses

Reimbursable Expenses

The following lists some of the most common reimbursable expenses:

Getting Around

  • Busses
  • Baggage Fees
  • Limousine
  • Parking - Hotel parking is fully reimbursable. Indianapolis Airport parking is reimbursable up to the ISU rate offered for Economy Parking at a maximum of $9.00 a day. Airport parking for all other airports will be up to the equivalency of the long term parking rate associated with that airport.
  • Shuttles
  • Taxi, Uber, Lyft, Ride Share, etc.
  • Tolls


  • Internet Fees at your Hotel
  • Faxes for business purposes

Foreign Travel

  • Passport and/or Visa fees
  • Immunizations
  • Foreign currency exchange fees

Non-Reimbursable Expenses

Non-Reimbursable Expenses

The following are some examples of items the traveler might have to incur themselves:

Entertainment Expenses

  • Meals for other people
  • Food in excess of the daily subsistence amount
  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Video, VCR, TV or radio rentals
  • Event tickets
  • Taxis or other transportation to and from entertainment events including dining

Personal Expenses

  • Any kind of insurance
  • Extra boarding fees for seat assignment or early boarding check in
  • Medical and hospital services
  • Commuting expenses between your home and work station
  • Additional transportation, hotel or other expenses for personal travel in conjunction with University travel
  • Personal phone calls
  • Laundry

Link Area


Holly Garrett
Travel Account Specialist
Ext. 3541