MSW Advanced Standing
MSW applicants who have a BSW degree from a CSWE accredited program,
those recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition
and Evaluation Service, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with
international social work accreditors will not repeat what they have
mastered in their undergraduate program. Students who meet the criteria may
apply and be considered for the Advanced Standing Program described below.
Students who have earned a BSW degree from a Council on Social Work
Education (CSWE) accredited program, those recognized through its
International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, or
covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social
work accreditors, may be eligible to apply for advanced standing. If
offered advanced standing, the applicant will be given credit by
credential for the first 23 hours of the program (foundational courses).
Students must meet the admission requirements for all applicants in
addition to the following requirements.
- Conferral date of their BSW degree is within the last 5 years
- A 3.0 overall grade point average on a 4.0 scale for all
undergraduate work attempted; or a 3.0 grade point average in the
last 60 semester hours taken in the undergraduate program.
- Satisfactory completion of a 400 hour generalist field placement
(minimum) in direct practice with individuals, families, groups, and
communities under appropriate social work supervision.
- Advanced standing applicants will have transcripts and/or
program content evaluated by the MSW Admissions Committee to
determine if foundation content has been met. The Admissions
Committee reviews and evaluates all advanced standing applications.
Applicants may be required to present copies of course descriptions,
course syllabi, and/or assignments in order to document that
appropriate content has been covered in the previous course of
- Applicants must submit their BSW final field evaluation or
letter from their BSW field practicum agency supervisor and a
letter of reference written by a full time (not adjunct) faculty
member from their undergraduate social work program.
MSW Advanced Standing Admission Process
- Applicants who seek admission to the MSW Advanced
Standing Program must first achieve admission through
the College of Graduate and Professional Studies at the
- Applicants must also submit all MSW Program
materials and the Advanced Standing materials to the
College of Graduate and Professional Studies online
- The MSW Admission Committee will review and rate
each candidate with an admission rubric.
Criteria utilized for selecting applicants will be based
upon graduate admission criteria, MSW application
criteria, MSW Advanced Standing criteria, as well as
individual ratings by the MSW Admission Committee.
- A Committee meeting will be commenced to discuss
each application and committee members' rubric results.
- The top ranked candidates will be invited to come in
for an interview. If said candidate refuses, the
Committee will make an admission decision based upon the
- The consensus of the MSW Admission Committee will
determine which Advanced Standing candidates are
selected for admission.
- The MSW Program Director will make a final decision
for Advanced Standing candidates for whom a consensus is
not reach by the MSW Admission Committee.
- Note – an Advanced Standing candidate may not be
selected for the Advanced Standing Program but may be
considered and selected for the full-time MSW Program.