The MMAS mission is to assist minority men in reaching their personal and professional goals through education, leadership, and mentorship. Minority men will actively engage in activities to help them become responsible men, successful scholars, and productive citizens. Participants will understand the importance of character development, community engagement, and seek opportunities to develop others in their community, town, city, and world.
MMAS seeks to engage men throughout their academic career. We envision a community of men that focus on academic excellence, community service, healthy living environments and personal relationships. Participants are expected to contribute to our global society by passing knowledge to their fellow brother.
Five Focus Areas
1. Academic Success
2. Character Development
3. Leadership Skills
4. Career Development
5. Community Service
Seven Core Values
1. Academic Excellence
5. Cultural Awareness
Multicultural Men Achieving Scholarship is an Academic Learning Community sponsored by the Office of Residential Life in collaboration with the University College’s Project Success program. Students interested in living in this community must meet/participate in the following requirements:
1. Be admitted to ISU
2. Apply for housing for the 2015-2016 year by March 15th
3. Have a high school GPA of at least 2.5
4. Enroll in a University 101 class that will meet Tuesday and Thursdays from 1:00-2:15. If accepted to the community, your academic advisor will enroll you in this class at orientation.
5. Live in Jones Hall. This is where our community is located. Once accepted to the program, you will be placed on the MMAS floor in Jones. You will be assigned a roommate who has also been accepted to this community. This means, you cannot have a roommate who is not part of this community.
6. Participate in a retreat prior to first year student move in. This will require you to move into the residence halls the Sunday before traditional first year student arrival. Details on the retreat and early move in will be provided in late June/early July
To apply for the Multicultural Men Achieving Scholarship community, follow the below link. All applications must be submitted by March 15th, 2014.
Please do not miss out on this exciting and potentially life changing opportunity. . If you have any questions please contact Aaron Slocum: Phone 812.237.4279, or by email at Aaron.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pictures courtesy of ISU Photography Services