- Extended Learning Home
- Outreach and Enrichment
- College Challenge
- Indiana State Online
For further information and assistance, contact:
Indiana State Online
Educational Administration: School Administration Ph.D.
Indiana State University offers a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.) in educational administration with a specialization in school administration (K-12 district leadership). The program is intended for post-educational specialist students who desire a terminal degree preparing them to be scholar/practitioner leaders.
- This Ph.D. program includes a minimum of 72 credit hours of graduate work beyond the bachelor's degree. Typically, students complete 30 credit hours, with the remaining coursework applied from the student's master's and/or Ed.S. coursework. In addition, students must complete a doctoral dissertation.
- The program is delivered through a blended online education program using a combination of interactive online sessions augmented by four required face-to-face sessions in that regional area. This program is cohort based and set up in a regional location in Indiana.
- Each year a new regional cohort will begin in January. Typically, students begin the program with a cohort group and commit to moving through the program's schedule of studies with that cohort group. Students enroll for 2 and 3 courses each semester for 4 consecutive semesters over a year and a half period, including a summer session. (ie Spring = 3 classes at 9 hours; Summer = 2 classes at 6 hours; Fall = 3 classes at 9 hours; final Spring = 2 classes at 6 hours.) The dissertation is typically completed in 18-24 months and requires a minimum of 18 dissertation hours. The University requires that the program must be completed within a total of nine years after admission to the program and within six years after admission to candidacy for the degree.
- Representations on licensing apply to licensing in the state of Indiana only. Potential students seeking licensing in other states should check with that state's educational licensing authorities on their requirements. Further restrictions may be found in the state specific information under the program availability link.
Note: Students also have the option of completing this Ph.D. program via an alternative Wednesday Residency Program, with coursework offered on the ISU campus all day each Wednesday during the fall and spring academic terms.
Required Courses:[ list all ]
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
- Hold a bachelor's, master's, and educational specialist degree from an accredited college or university
- Hold or be eligible for the standard license for either elementary school administration and supervision or secondary school administration and supervision
- Have graduate work and experience commensurate with the student's objectives as evaluated by faculty in the Department of Educational Leadership
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 or above
- Have a graduate grade point average of 3.25 or above with no deficiencies
Note: It must not be assumed that meeting minimal standards guarantees admission to the program.
The program accepts applications for spring entrance only. Applications are due by August 1 with notification of decision by September 1. Failure to submit all of the above items in a timely manner can delay the admission decision. Enrollment is limited. Applicants may be wait-listed.
- Apply online.
- Submit the following materials to Indiana State University, Graduate Admissions, Welcome Center, 318 North Sixth Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809-1904.
- Official transcripts for all institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate), which must be sent directly from the school attended to Graduate Admissions. E-transcripts should be sent to email@example.com
- Official scores for the Graduate Record Examinations General Tests, which must be sent directly from the Testing Center to Graduate Admissions.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $45.00 (U.S. citizens and permanent residents) or $65.00 (international students) payable by Visa, MasterCard, or check or money order payable to Indiana State University.
- Please upload and attach the following as part of the online application process:
- Departmental application
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Personal narrative of professional goals and past experiences
- Documentation of all licenses and certifications held
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who can comment on the applicant's potential as a school/district leader
Note: Returning ISU students must apply for re-admission if they have not attended ISU for more than two calendar years.
We do not have minimum performance expectations on the GRE nor do we use GRE scores in isolation from other components of the application given that the research on its use for admissions decisions emphasizes the benefits of the GRE in combination with other application elements. However, stronger scores are always more advantageous than weaker scores. Thus, we advise that students take the time to adequately prepare for the exam, including purchasing a test prep guide and/or taking a test prep course. Guide materials can be obtained from most bookstores.
The GRE can be scheduled and taken at any Sylvan or Prometric Learning Center and unofficial scores will be available to the student immediately after the exam given that the test is taken on computer. Please email unofficial scores to the EDLR Office (EDLR@indstate.edu) immediately after taking the exam since official scores will generally not be received by the College of Graduate and Professional Studies for approximately three weeks.
Fees & Expenses:
Students in this Ph.D. program pay the same University fees as other students, including online education delivery fees. In addition, upon admission to the program, students pay a one-time program fee of $600 (subject to change).
Financial Aid & Assistance:
Graduate students may be eligible for federal student loans if they are admitted into graduate degrees (or first-time teacher certification programs) and meet other eligibility requirements. Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Private alternative loans can help students pay college expenses that may not be covered by federal loan programs or other financial aid. For more information, visit financial aid.
The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
In addition, all education licensure programs and related school programs are accredited by the Indiana Department of Education and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
For further information and assistance, contact:
Indiana State Online
The University Board of Trustees reserves the right to change fees at any time in the future. The right to correct errors is also reserved.
Note: This program may or may not lead to licensure in your home state. The courses required in this program prepare the student for licensure or certification in the State of Indiana. Please contact your state licensing authority to assure that, upon completion of the program, you are qualified to obtain a license or other form of certification. If you need assistance obtaining contact information for the licensing authority in states outside of Indiana, contact Indiana State Online representatives at (812) 237-2345 or IndianaStateOnline@indstate.
Indiana State Online Students Residing Outside of Indiana: Each of the states has its own approval processes for out-of-state institutions offering online degrees. While Indiana State University endeavors to offer all of its programs to as wide an audience as possible, all ISU online programs may not be available in all states. Currently, online programs are not offered in the state of Massachusetts. To check the status of programs available in a particular state, visit program availability.
The Graduate Catalog and Undergraduate Catalog of Indiana State University are the documents of authority for all students. The requirements given in the catalogs supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time.