Technology Support Center
Room 009 Stalker Hall
M-Th 7:30am to 9:00pm
Friday 7:30am to 6:00pm
Saturday 12:00pm to 9:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm to 9:00pm
Instructional Tools Support Center
Fall and Spring
7:30 A.M. to 9:00 P.M.
7:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Saturday & Sunday
12:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.
For business: 812-237-4183
To report a problem: 812-237-8000
Voice Mail Help: 237-3038
(while school is in session)
10am-9pm Sat and Sunday
(when school is not in session)
Classroom and Event Technology Support
M-F 8:00am to 4:30pm
Classroom Support Hotline:
(Black Phone connected to podium)
M-Th 7:30am to 9:00pm
Friday 7:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Frequently Asked Questions - Sycamores Email
1. What are the important dates for the switch to the new email system?
a. May 15 – New email system available for use.
b. June 30, 2011 – Old email system is no longer official email for ISU
c. December 31, 2011 – Old email system is turned off and all data/email deleted.
2. Why was May 15, 2011 selected as the date to move to Sycamores email?
This date is between terms and will allow students time to become familiar with the new email system prior to the start of classes in Fall 2011.
3. Is there functionality in my new Sycamores email account similar to the current email system?
Yes. Your new account will allow you perform the same functions as you are currently using including many new and improved features.
4. What new functionality will I have in my new Sycamores email account?
It has all the basic e-mail functions as well as several advanced functions, such as an appointment scheduler, daily and weekly calendar, and an address book. It works similarly to your current Web-based e-mail you are using. Your Sycamores email account provides a feature rich experience in a browser and is great for use in your residence hall, a friend's house, or anywhere there is an Internet connection available. The Sycamores email system provides the following features:
• 10 Gb of email storage space
• Smartphone Access (through Exchange Active Sync)
• 7 Gb of storage space available via SkyDrive
• Use Office products even if they are not installed on your computer (Office 365)
• Ability to connect the Outlook client to your account
• Instant messaging integrated into the client
• Integrated blog
5. How will I know what my new email address will be?
Your new email address will be in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Technology Support Center (x2910) or stop by the CSC if you need assistance.
6. Will I retain my current email address?
7. When should I change to my new Sycamores Email account?
You should start using your new email account as soon as it becomes available. This new email account provides more space and functionality than your old account.
8. How will I access my new email account?
a. By using a web browser and logging directly into Outlook.com/sycamores.indstate.edu
b. Through the MyISU portal by logging in and clicking on the Sycamores Email icon in the upper
right hand section of the Home tab
c. Web enabled mobile device (see question, “How do I access my Sycamores email account
through my smartphone?”).
9. Can I access my new Sycamores Email account without going through the MyISU portal?
Yes. See examples in question 8.
10. How do I access my new Sycamores Email account through my smartphone?
Students using mobile devices that want or need integrated access to their Sycamores email will need to use/select a mobile device or smart phone that supports POP3. Because the selection of a smart phone and/or carrier (vendor) is very subjective and highly dependent on personal preference, ISU is not able to make product or vendor recommendations. Likewise, the large number of phone alternatives also substantially limits the support that can be provided. If you feel you need assistance with configuring your phone (setup) to access your Sycamores email account (although many will probably do that themselves) you should print the information below and give it to the phone vendor’s technical support personnel – with that information, they will be able to quickly configure the phone to get you going.
Email Address: email@example.com
Encryption method: SSL
Encryption method: SSL
Encryption method: TLS
If you are trying to configure an iPhone/iPad check out the step-by-step instructions here.
If you are trying to configure an Android device check out the step-by-step instructions here.
For other devices, check this LINK for instructions for your particular phone type.
11. When will the University begin using my new email to send official electronic correspondence?
All e-mail communications that originate from an ISU department (faculty, deans office, Office of Student Financial Aid, Office of the Registrar, Controllers Office, etc.) is sent to your official ISU email address. Beginning June 30, 2011 it will be sent to your new Sycamores email account.
12. Can I move my address books over to my new Sycamores Email account?
Address book information cannot be moved. The best way to keep your address book information is to email the address book contents to your new Sycamores email account.
13. Can I migrate my calendar over to my new Sycamores Email account?
No. You will have to reenter them on the new calendar.
14. How do I migrate the email from my old email account to my Sycamores Email account?
Students will be given the opportunity to migrate their email and data over by using a feature within their Sycamores email account
that will be available on May 15, 2011. Students can move their email to their new Sycamores Email account by performing the following:
1) Log into your Sycamores account and click on “Options”
2) In the box “Connected Accounts” click “New”
3) Enter your current email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your Portal
4) Sycamores Email will search for the account and will connect to the account
5) Once the account is connected Sycamores Email will migrate all the emails to your new
Sycamores Email account
You can do this for any email account you have, including personal accounts through Gmail, Yahoo, etc.
15. What will happen to mail sent to the old email address after June 30, 2011?
The account will continue to receive email normally until December
31, 2011. All mail received after June 1st, 2011, is also being
forwarded to the new Sycamores email account until December 31, 2011.
16. Will the mailing lists that I subscribe to still work properly after June 30, 2011 when I am on Sycamores Email?
Yes, however, you will need to unsubscribe to all lists prior to December 31st, when your old email account will be permanently deleted.
17. Will the groups I have in my current email account move over to my new Sycamores Email account?
No. You will need to send yourself these groups in an email and then cut and paste them to create your new groups in your Sycamores email account.
18. How will I access my old email account after June 30, 2011?
You will access your old account by selecting the “old student email” link on the MyISU Portal.
19. Can I use my new email address before the conversion?
No. The address will not be active until May 15, 2011.
20. Will I still be able to access my old email account after December 31, 2011 at 5:00pm?
No. The old email and data will be deleted and the system turned off.
21. Where can I find help about my new Sycamores Email account?
Once you have logged in to your new Sycamores Email account additional help can be found under “?” next to the “Find Someone” box on the site or by contacting the Technology Support Center at x2910 or visiting the Computer Support Center located in the Student Computing Complex.
22. Why is ISU going to a new email system?
The move to Sycamores Email was made to provide a much more feature rich student email system and to reduce costs. Your Sycamores email account will provide several new features that were not available in the old email system. Please see, “What new functionality will I have in my new Sycamores email account?” for additional information.
23. Why was Microsoft WindowsLive (Sycamores Email) chosen as the new student email system?
WindowsLive was chosen for its feature rich environment, accessibility and cost.
24. Why should I always change my password for my Sycamores Email on the MyISU portal?
Changing it on the MyISU portal will synchronize to your Sycamores Email account.
25. Can my password contain my username?
No. You cannot include your username as part of your password.
26. Will I get two email addresses if I am an employee and a student?
Yes. Please remember that you should keep your ISU employee related email separate from your student related email. It is against ISU policy to forward your University employee email to an external email account. You should also not forward your Sycamores Email account to your ISU Exchange account. If you leave the University you will not be able to keep your ISU Exchange account and you would lose your student related email.
27. If I am an employee or faculty member and not a student can I get a Sycamores Email account?
No. A faculty member or employee should only be using the ISU Exchange system for ISU related business. Sycamores Email is only for student related email.
28. What browsers/versions are supported?
The following browsers and version are currently supported:
• Internet Explorer 8, IE 7, and IE 6 for Windows 7 / Vista / XP
• Mozilla Firefox version 3 and later (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
• Google Chrome
• Apple Safari version 4 and later
For more information visit here.
29. Are other Languages supported?
Windows Live speaks a number of languages including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Japanese and Chinese.
For more information visit here.
30. Will the new Sycamore Email addresses automatically be listed in the Outlook address book used by faculty / staff?
Yes. The new addresses are listed in the campus (Exchange/Outlook) address book. Student addresses can
also be obtained via the find people link on the main web page.
31. Will previous alumni email addresses (sycamoreid@email@example.com) be changed to the new format or remain the same?
Current alumni email addresses use the format of firstname.lastname@example.org and will not be changed. Future alumni will keep their email@example.com forever.