November 4 2008
The Installation Committee, headed by ISU Trustee Ron Carpenter of Indianapolis, an ISU alumnus, adopted five goals for the week:
- To celebrate and provide appropriate recognition for Bradley as the university's 11th president.
- To involve as many campus and community members as possible.
- To highlight Indiana State's commitment to community engagement.
- To raise awareness of and appreciation for Indiana State University and its contributions to its community, state, nation and world.
- To raise financial support for worthwhile causes.
"We are excited to have Daniel Bradley as our president and look forward to celebrating his leadership," said Carpenter. "But this is first and foremost a celebration of Indiana State University, its talented and dedicated faculty and staff and our students, who represent the best of Indiana, the Midwest, the nation and, increasingly, the world. It will be a celebration of Indiana State's longstanding tradition of service learning."
Donald Buttrey serves as honorary co-chairman of the Installation Committee. Buttrey is an ISU graduate, former member of the Board of Trustees and honorary life member of the ISU Foundation Board.
Unless indicated, all events listed are free and open to the public:
- Nov. 10, 7:30 p.m., Tirey Hall, Tilson Auditorium: John Bul Dau lecture, "Journey to Leadership." One of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan, Dau was among 25,000 refugees who fled civil war in 1987 and eventually settled in the United States after overcoming a number of obstacles and hardships. Dau has dedicated his life to building health clinics to help those remaining in Sudan. A reception and book-signing will follow in Heritage Lounge.
- Nov. 11, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union (and other campus locations): Sycamore Preview Day, "Engaging Our Prospective Students," an event for prospective students and parents in which visiting high school students are encouraged to bring donations of canned food items for Catholic Charities.
- Nov. 11, 1:30 p.m., Cunningham Memorial Library: "Veterans' Oral Histories," a presentation of the ISU history department, the Center for Local History and Wabash Valley Visions and Voices. Wabash Valley veterans are especially invited to this program. A reception will follow in the library.
- Nov. 11, 7 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union, Dede I, II and III - "Up Til Dawn" fundraiser for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- Nov. 12, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union, Dede Plaza - "Jam the Bus" canned food drive for Catholic Charities, sponsored by Hulman Memorial Student Union Board and Sodexo Dining Services.
- Nov. 12, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union: Sycamore Community Leadership Awards luncheon, recognizing Indiana high schools for community engagement. The awards are sponsored by ISU's Center for Public Service and Community Engagement, Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman and the Indiana Office of Rural and Community Affairs (open to award recipients and invited guests)
- Nov. 12, 6 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union, Dede I: Installation Reception and Banquet, honoring President Bradley and ISU first lady Cheri Bradley and supporting the United Way of the Wabash Valley. $50 of each $75 ticket benefits United Way.
- Nov. 13, 2 p.m., Hulman Center: Installation ceremony. Representatives of non-profit agencies that are United Way members have been invited to participate in the installation ceremony as honorary delegates. A reception immediately follows in the Hulman Center concourse.
- Nov. 13, 7 p.m., Hulman Memorial Student Union, Dede I: Installation Concert by Ebony Majestic Choir. A coffee and dessert reception follows in Dede II.
- Nov. 14, 10:30 a.m., Center for Performing and Fine Arts, Recital Hall: Contemporary Music Festival Faculty Chamber recital.
- Nov. 14, 7 p.m., Hulman Center: men's basketball vs. St. Joseph's (exhibition ? tickets available for purchase at the Hulman Center box office or by calling 812-237-3737 or 1-800-ISU-TIXS). Donations of personal hygiene items or financial contributions will be accepted during the game to benefit the Council on Domestic Abuse.
- Nov. 14, 7:30 p.m., Tirey Hall, Tilson Auditorium: Contemporary Music Festival concert featuring Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra. (Tickets available for purchase by calling 812-237-3737 or 1-800-ISU-TIXS)
- Nov. 15, 12:05 p.m., Memorial Stadium, football vs. Northern Iowa (tickets available for purchase at the Hulman Center box office or by calling 812-237-3737 or 1-800-ISU-TIXS). Donations of personal hygiene items or financial contributions will be accepted during the game to benefit the Council on Domestic Abuse.
- Nov. 17, 7 p.m., Dede Plaza, "Take Back the Night" rally and march to raise awareness about violence against women.
Additional details about Installation Week at Indiana State University are available on President Bradley's Web site at www.indstate.edu/president.
Media contact and writer: Dave Taylor, media relations director, Office of Communications and Marketing, Indiana State University, 812-237-3743 or email@example.com
Indiana State University will mark the installation of Daniel J. Bradley as its president with a week-long celebration of the university's commitment to community engagement Nov. 10 through Nov. 17.