Fire at Blumberg Hall

January 27 2008

The Indiana State University Public Safety Department and Terre Haute Fire Department responded to a fire at Blumberg Hall Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008.

The fire was reported shortly after 9:30 p.m. in an 11th floor room of the 12-story residence hall that houses approximately 420 freshmen students.

A student resident assistant, senior Michael Glazer of Climax, Mich., was treated for smoke inhalation after trying to extinguish the blaze, according to ISU Public Safety.

Two Public Safety officers were also treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and a female student was treated at the scene after suffering an asthma attack during the incident.

The cause of the fire was apparently a candle left unattended in Room 1105, according to a preliminary investigation. That room and two adjoining rooms, 1104 and 1106, were damaged.

Students residing in Blumberg Hall were evacauted and sheltered temporarily inside the Hulman Memorial Student Union Commons (food court) area.

At approximately 11:15 p.m., university officials determined the 10th, 11th and 12th floors of the building were unsuitable for students to return. A safety check of the remainder of the building continued.

Media contact and writer: Dave Taylor, media relations director, Indiana State University, (812) 237-3743 or

Bookmark and Share

Story Highlights

A fire was reported at 9:35 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27 in an 11th floor room of 12-story Blumberg Hall on the Indiana State University campus.

Bookmark and Share