indiana licensure in ENL (english as a New language)

There are two undergraduate paths to licensure in English as a New Language:
(1) the Language Studies-Teaching Major, with a Concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language, and
(2) the Minor in English as a New Language (if you already have an Indiana teaching license or are working on such a license in another teacher education major program).

For details, see below:

Language studies--Teaching major, with a concentration in teaching English as a second language

Language Studies--Teaching Major (31 semester hours) with a Concentration in Teaching English as a Second Language

This major also requires completion of the Professional Education Sequence for licensure if you want to teach in Indiana public schools, including LING 316 "Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language".

Required LLL courses (7 hours minimum):

Required TESL concentration courses (24 hours):

9 additional hours at the 300/400 level: Courses available within the department and not listed above include:

An applied experience within the 31 hours:

Must consist of at least 6 hours of 300/400-level course work taken in study abroad."


 Minor in English as a New Language (15 hrs.)

This concentration may be added to another teacher education major program.  It does not fulfill all the requirements for the Language Studies-TESL major; however, it does meet requirements for licensure in combination with an approved teacher education major program.
Required courses: LING 210--3 hrs.; LING 311--3hrs.; LING 413 or 415--3hrs.; LING 420--3 hrs.; and LING 316--3hrs.