home / applying for aid / eligibility / non-citizens

Eligible Non-Citizens

To be eligible for most federal aid programs, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens as defined below.

  • A U.S. National (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • A U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration receipt card)
  • A permanent resident of the Trust Territory of the Pacific (Palau)
  • A citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia and Marshall Islands
  • Family Unity Status with approved I-797 (Voluntary Departure and Immigrant Petition)
  • Students who have a suspension of deportation case pending before Congress
  • Or otherwise able to provide an I-94 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) showing any of the following:

    - Refugee
    - Asylum Granted
    - Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
    - Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
    - Conditional Entrant (if issued before 04/01/1980)
    - Other eligible non-citizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-688)


Student Financial Aid
220 North 7th Street
150 Tirey Hall
Indiana State University
Contact Us