Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. “Samy” Anderson
S. Davis, J. Harper, R. Schneirov, V. Sheets
Ex-Officio: Provost Maynard
I. Minutes of the March 2, 2004, meeting were approved. (Lamb, Sheets 5-0-2)
II. Administrative Report
1) reported on Fall enrollment projections—slightly below anticipated enrollment. A better retention rate is desired with greater faculty involvement;
2) noted receipt by the University of a $3M Lilly Endowment grant;
3) thanked Chairperson Hudson for helping with work on strategic issues scheduled for presentation to the Board of Trustees in June;
4) mentioned requests for emeriti office space;
5) expressed concern with the eroding State budget.
Discussion and questions followed, including conjectures about the long range impact of the new marketing plan.
reported on the process used for approving sabbaticals—letters have been sent.
III. Chair Report
1) Senate election counts have been validated and the 2004-2005 Senate will be announced Wednesday--the vote count is available by request to the Faculty Senate Office;
2) a meeting with the University counsel is planned regarding the effort to codify University policies for Board of Trustee approval.
1) Approved motion to forward to CAAC the reorganization structure of the Library. (Lamb, Davis 6-0-1)
2) Discussed faculty membership on the Board of Trustees with discussion to continue at the next meeting.
V. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) Favorable responses to the new marketing ads.
2) Availability and funding of internal scholarships and assistantships.
3) Mandatory and course-aligned fees; tuition.
The meeting adjourned at 5:24 p.m.