|January 27, Minutes
Approved February 10, 2004
Indiana State University
Executive Committee 2003-04
Time: 3:15 p.m.
Place: Hulman Memorial Student Union 227
Present: Chairperson H. Hudson, Vice Chair S. Lamb, Secretary Sr. A. “Samy”
J. Harper, N. Lawrence, V. Sheets, J. Tenerelli
Ex-Officio: Provost Maynard
I. Minutes of the January 20th meeting were approved. (Lamb, Lawrence 5-0-1)
II. Administrative Report
1) expressed for the President his appreciation for Senate presence at the
2) profiled enrollment figures for this semester—down one percent, mostly
AOP and international enrollments;
3) updated on the Director of Financial Aid search;
4) noted bills before the state legislature that would limit tuition
In response to an inquiry, the Provost will provide information on the
admission policy for AOP students.
Continued discussions with the Provost on procedures for
continuation/selection of the General Education Coordinator and summer
school funding issues.
III. Chair Report
1) reported that the open sessions on State documents on higher education
policy by the State went well though attendance was low;
2) concurred with the Provost that there should be continued faculty
3) noted the Mardi Gras Ball for Faculty Scholarship fund is on February
14--bring a friend;
4) informed that the Trustees are bringing in a person to coordinate
evaluation of the President in March.
IV. Old Business
Handbook Language – Tenure Extension:
Motion to take off the table. (Lamb, Tenerelli 5-0-1)
After discussion, the document was amended and approved to forward to the
January Senate. (Lamb, Schneirov 5-1-1)
V. New Business
Director of the Senior Scholars Academy request for a seat at the Faculty
After discussion, the Committee charged the Chair to respond in writing to
VI. Fifteen Minute Open Discussion
1) International Affairs and Graduate School concerns were expressed.
2) Timeline issues of International Travel Grant notifications were noted.
3) Comments on the quality of the Leadership Retreat (kudos).
4) Concerns were expressed about the bad timing of the Board of Trustee’s
evaluation of the President since it coincides with the beginning of a
search for a new provost.
Why was there no evaluation last year to correspond with the Senate’s
“Lack of Confidence” vote? This ad hoc evaluation ordered by the Trustees
seems “out of touch” with activities on campus
4) Concerns were expressed about the ICHE expectations of ISU and their
5) Concerns were expressed about coordination of committees that give
monetary awards and follow up to monetary awards given from the variety of
The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.