If a student is called to active duty during a semester in which he/she is enrolled at ISU, the student may elect one of the following options:
1. PRIOR TO MID-TERM: The student may withdraw from all classes if he/she is called to active duty prior to mid-term and will automatically be entitled to a 100% reversal of all tuition and academic fees that he/she has been assessed for that academic semester. A student who elects to withdraw must provide a copy of his/her orders to the Office of Registration and Records Parsons 009.
2. AFTER MID-TERM: If notification of the call to active duty comes after the mid-term examinations or after substantial graded work has been completed, the student may elect one of the following options:
a. Withdraw from all classes and receive a 100% reversal of all tuition and academic fees assessed the student for that academic semester.
b. Request an Incomplete (IN) in his/her courses in order to complete all required coursework upon return to the University. Deans and faculty are encouraged to extend the deadline beyond the customary period once the student has returned from active duty. The student must provide a copy of the return from deployment to his/her dean/advisor. The student will not be required to pay additional tuition or academic fee charges on these classes at the time of course completion; however, he/she will be required to pay the originally assessed fees in accordance with published guidelines applicable to the term for which the Incomplete (IN) was requested.
3. Final 20% of Term: If activation is within the final 20% of the term, deans/faculty may choose to award credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework.
4. Room and board charges will be adjusted according to the move out date and no penalties will be assessed for early move outs. The student will be charged for the time he/she lived in the residence halls.
5. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to the refund policies as provided by sponsoring agencies, e.g., Title IV, State, or third party.
6. A student called to active duty who has received Perkins Loans Funds will need to contact the Bursar’s Office to discuss a military deferment.
7. Readmission: Applicable policies will be waived for any reservists whose active duty extended beyond the time limitations and who wishes to enroll in the semester immediately following release from active duty.
8. This policy may be altered at the discretion of the University.
Military Activation Policy Revised 10-1-03